1903 - 1979 (76 years)
||Lee Paul GUTIERREZ |
||14 Mar 1903
|Cause of Death
||carbon monoxide poisoning |
||Sacred Heart Academy, Biloxi, Mississippi |
||retail ice and freezing business |
||2 Dec 1979
- Ended education after 9 years. In many civic organizations: The Biloxi Businessman’s Club and the Elks (of which he was past Exalted Ruler) and many carnival associations. He was instrumental in the building of Howard Memorial Hosopital and founded the Biloxi Freezing Company in 1946.
He loved to dance, travel and debate. One of his favorite projects was keeping a scrapbook filled with newspaper accounts of all the Gutierrez clan.
By 1927, he worked as retail manager of the Mississippi Ice & Utilities Co. started by his father. At that time, it was located on the corner of the railroad and Delauney St. (present-day George Ohr Sr.). He later took over the business and renamed it Biloxi Ice Serve Co.
The Biloxi Freezing Company was built at Bohn and Railroad on the site of the old Gutierrez home and coal yard. It cost $200,000 and opened in 1946.
||19 Jun 2013 |
||Juan Girona Genaro ("Henry John") GUTIERREZ, b. 5 Jun 1870, Bagatelle St. near corner of Josephine, New Orleans, Louisiana , d. 2 Jul 1953, Biloxi, Mississippi (Age 83 years) |
||Rosa VENUS, b. 31 Jul 1875, St. James Parish, Louisiana , d. 5 Jul 1945 (Age 69 years) |
||28 Oct 1897
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Katherine Evelyn SLAY, b. 11 Feb 1907, Mobile, Alabama or Tuscaloosa , d. 2 Dec 1979, Biloxi, Mississippi (Age 72 years) |
||16 Dec 1924
||Nativity B.V.M., Biloxi, Mississippi
- Lee and Katherine were great hosts and entertainers. They worked hard and played hard and both enjoyed fine mental, physical and spiritual health.
|+||1. Lee Paul GUTIERREZ, Jr., b. 11 Jan 1927, Biloxi, Mississippi , d. 28 May 2002 (Age 75 years)|
|+||2. Henry Slay GUTIERREZ, b. 16 Jul 1928, d. 12 Aug 2004, Biloxi, Mississippi (Age 76 years)|
|+||3. Ramon Gray GUTIERREZ, b. 19 Jul 1930, Biloxi, Mississippi , d. 20 Sep 2009, Ocean Springs, Mississippi (Age 79 years)|
|+||4. Frank Carroll GUTIERREZ, b. 18 Sep 1934, Biloxi, Mississippi , d. 17 Jun 2015, Gulfport, Mississippi (Age 80 years)|
||18 Feb 2016 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Family of Lee Gutierrez Sr. and Katherine Slay Gutierrez|
Left to right: Lee P. Gutierrez, Sr., Katherine Slay Gutierrez, Lee "Pedro" Gutierrez, Jr., Henry S. "Duke" Gutierrez, Ramon "Ziggy" Gutierrez, Frank Gutierrez
||Lee Gutierrez, Sr.|
Taken ca. 1925
||Lee P. Gutierrez, Sr.|
Taken ca. 1925
||Lee Gutierrez, Sr.|
||Family of Lee Gutierrez and Katherine Slay|
Left to right: Lee P. Gutierrez, Sr., Katherine Slay Gutierrez, Lee Gutierrez, Jr., Henry S. Gutierrez, Ramon "Ziggy" Gutierrez, Frank Gutierrez
|Extended family of Lee and Katherine Gutierrez|
Taken on their 50th anniversary.
Back row (L-R): Melba Fay Gutierrez, Henry "Duke" Gutierrez, Helen Gutierrez, Lee "Pedro" Gutierrez, Katherine Gutierrez, Lee Gutierrez, Ramon "Ziggy" Gutierrez, Millie Gutierrez, Frank Gutierrez, Anita Gutierrez
Middle row (L-R): Roxann Gutierrez, Byron Meaut, Sybil Gutierrez Meaut, Pete Gutierrez, Paul Gutierrez, Gay Gutierrez, Paige Gutierrez
Front row (L-R): Brent Gutierrez, Rachel Gutierrez, Mitzi Gutierrez, Lauren Gutierrez, John Gutierrez, Ricky Gutierrez, Clay Gutierrez (At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.)
||Ziggy Gutierrez and Lee Gutierrez, Sr.|
||"Pedro," Lee, Sr. and "Duke" Gutierrez|
||Interview with Henry S. Gutierrez, part 1|
Henry S. "Duke" Gutierrez interviewd by his daughter Rachel Gutierrez. In part 1, he reminisces about his childhood in Biloxi, Mississippi, and early courtship with Melba Fay Foretich.
||Home movies, Gutierrez and Foretich families, 1963|
Total length: 7:48
Miscellaneous clips shot during 1963.
(1) Melba, Sybil and Paige Gutierrez with Beverly Foretich Golden and her daughter, Sheila, at Beverly's house in Houston, Texas
(2) Large gathering of relatives at the fishing camp of Lee and Katherine Gutierrez in Gautier, Mississippi. If you spot anyone not listed below, let me know.
(3) Jim Nabors, in town to perform at Gus Stevens, visits the home of Henry and Melba Fay Gutierrez on Seal Avenue in Biloxi. At the time, he was featured on the popular television series The Andy Griffith Show and would begin starring in his own show, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., the following year. While in Biloxi, Nabors roomed with Henry's brother Ziggy at the Hotel Biloxi and hung out at Ziggy's nightclub. In addition to Paige, Sybil and Roxann Gutierez, also present are Lottie Foretich and family friends Clare and Warren Hornsby and Mr. and Mrs. Eddie Rusich.
(4) Brief clip of Roxann with Denise and Vicky DeGregorio in a backyard pool.
(5) Melba and Henry Gutierrez with Paige, Sybil and Roxann at the zoo in New Orleans.
(6) A visit to Marine Life in Gulfport, Mississippi
(7) Brief clip of Melba, Paige, Sybil and Roxann picking up a cat at the home of Leo and Lottie Foretich on Delauney Street (now George E. Ohr Street) in Biloxi
(8) Sybil, Paige and Roxann Gutierrez playing with friends in front of their house on Seal Avenue in Biloxi
(9) Henry, Paige, Sybil and Roxann Gutierrez on the beach in Ocean Springs, Mississippi with Beverly Foretich Golden and her daughter, Sheila
|Home movies, Gutierrez family, 1961|
Total length: 3:13
The first part of this video was shot in Mobile, Alabama, where Henry, Melba Fay, Paige, Sybil and Roxann are seen feeding pigeons.
The second part was shot around Christmas 1961 in the home of Henry and Melba Fay Gutierrez on Seal Avenue in Biloxi. Henry's parents and his brothers Frank and Ziggy are seen visiting. (At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.)
|Home movies, Gutierrez and Slay/Fallo families, spring 1961|
Total length: 5:21
Taken in the spring of 1961, these home movies are in five sections:
(1) Paige, Sybil and Roxann Gutierrez in the yard of their house on Seal Avenue in Biloxi (probably shot on two different days)
(2) Large gathering of members of Gutierrez, Slay, Fallo and other families for an Easter egg hunt at the fishing camp of Katherine and Lee Gutierrez in Gautier, Mississippi. If you can identify anyone not listed below, please let me know.
(3) Melba Fay Gutierrez and daughter Roxann in the yard of the home of Leo and Lottie Foretich on Delauney Street (now George E. Ohr Street) in Biloxi
(4) Henry and Melba Fay Gutierrez with daughters Paige, Sybil and Roxann at the fishing camp of Katherine and Lee Gutierrez in Gautier, Mississippi
(5) Brief final clip at Audubon Park in New Orleans (At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.)
|Home movies, Gutierrez/Foretich and Fallo/Slay families, 1960|
Total length: 5:38
Home movies taken in the latter part of 1960, in three sections:
(1) Various members of the Gutierrez and Fallo/Slay families visit the Gautier, Mississippi fishing camp of Lee and Katherine Gutierrez. Also seen is family friend Henry Swann. [I think that might be Ziggy driving the boat at the end of this section--is that right?. Who is the man next to him? It doesn't look like Paw-Paw Lee (Gutierrez, Sr.).]
(2) Christmas 1960 at the home of Henry and Melba Fay Gutierrez on Seal Avenue in Biloxi. In addition to relatives, family neighbors LIta Frey and Chris Sehon are seen.
(3) Henry and Melba Gutierrez at the amusement park on the beach in Biloxi with daughters Paige, Sybil and Roxann. The boats seen were built by Henry F. Fountain, Sr. (At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.)