1898 - 1986 (88 years)
||Thelma Alphonsine GUTIERREZ |
||25 Feb 1898
||needle work and preserving fruits and vegetables |
||28 Jul 1986
- In April of 1933, Harry Truman, then a Missouri County Official, rented a house in Biloxi with his wife Bess and daughter Margaret. The Trumans became friends with the landlords Thelma and Willis Luxich. Mr. Truman wrote to the couple after their vacation, stating that the visit had helped Margaret's health. The house, referred to as "Sunshine Cottage," was located on the beach highway, where Treasure Bay casino is now located. In February of 1948, a few days before Mardi Gras, Mr. and Mrs. Luxich were visited in Biloxi again by now First Lady Bess Truman and Margaret, who were on their way to the Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans for the parades.
||18 Feb 2013 |
||Juan Girona Genaro ("Henry John") GUTIERREZ, b. 5 Jun 1870, Bagatelle St. near corner of Josephine, New Orleans, Louisiana , d. 2 Jul 1953, Biloxi, Mississippi (Age 83 years) |
||Rosa VENUS, b. 31 Jul 1875, St. James Parish, Louisiana , d. 5 Jul 1945 (Age 69 years) |
||28 Oct 1897
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Willis A. LUXICH, b. 27 May 1890, Bay St. Louis, Mississippi , d. 13 Apr 1963 (Age 72 years) |
||26 Aug 1924
||Nativity B.V.M., Biloxi, Mississippi
- During the depression of 1929, they struggled for survival and managed by eating lots of seafood and wild game such as rabbits, quail and squirrel. Mr. Harry S. Truman came along one April day in 1933 and rented their house on Highway 90. He was a District Judge at that time. They were later to know him as the 33rd President of the United States.
||18 Feb 2016 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Home movies, Gutierrez and Foretich families, 1963|
Total length: 7:48
Miscellaneous clips shot during 1963.
(1) Melba, Sybil and Paige Gutierrez with Beverly Foretich Golden and her daughter, Sheila, at Beverly's house in Houston, Texas
(2) Large gathering of relatives at the fishing camp of Lee and Katherine Gutierrez in Gautier, Mississippi. If you spot anyone not listed below, let me know.
(3) Jim Nabors, in town to perform at Gus Stevens, visits the home of Henry and Melba Fay Gutierrez on Seal Avenue in Biloxi. At the time, he was featured on the popular television series The Andy Griffith Show and would begin starring in his own show, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., the following year. While in Biloxi, Nabors roomed with Henry's brother Ziggy at the Hotel Biloxi and hung out at Ziggy's nightclub. In addition to Paige, Sybil and Roxann Gutierez, also present are Lottie Foretich and family friends Clare and Warren Hornsby and Mr. and Mrs. Eddie Rusich.
(4) Brief clip of Roxann with Denise and Vicky DeGregorio in a backyard pool.
(5) Melba and Henry Gutierrez with Paige, Sybil and Roxann at the zoo in New Orleans.
(6) A visit to Marine Life in Gulfport, Mississippi
(7) Brief clip of Melba, Paige, Sybil and Roxann picking up a cat at the home of Leo and Lottie Foretich on Delauney Street (now George E. Ohr Street) in Biloxi
(8) Sybil, Paige and Roxann Gutierrez playing with friends in front of their house on Seal Avenue in Biloxi
(9) Henry, Paige, Sybil and Roxann Gutierrez on the beach in Ocean Springs, Mississippi with Beverly Foretich Golden and her daughter, Sheila